2013 – 2014 Carson City Council
In 1968 thousands of people cast their vote to stop the dumping, protect our communities from contamination and to create the City of Carson. In just a few months this city council, people who were not here in 1968 and apparently have no clue what we went through, are rewriting the history and purpose of our city.
Let’s look at the actions of this city council:
- May 20, 2013 this city council bypassed our laws and started naming streets and computer centers after themselves. (1)
- June 12, 2013 this city council fired David Biggs and in September 2013, the Daily Breeze, citing high-ranking officials reported that Biggs had refused to fire upper-echelon managers who would not carry out the will of the council. (2) (3)
- August 6, 2013 this city council hired unqualified Sam Ghaly as city manager and when it was discovered his qualifications were fraudulent it took the residents protesting to have him fired and they gave him $15,000.00 for defrauding the city and people of Carson. (4) (5) (6) (7)
- August 8, 2013 this city council awarded a contract for half the going rate to a friend of a council member.(8)
- August 2013 reports of employees who would not carry out the will of council members were being fired. (9)
- October 15 2013 this city council change oral communication during our city council meetings leaving the residents to speak on an issue before receiving the staff report.
- January 2014 this city council released the incomplete Oxy Draft Environmental Impact Report. (10)
- January to present this city council is participating in and allowing the manipulation of the residents, and media in order to permit the Oxy Project. (11) (12) (13)
- April 2014 this city council voted to allow our moratorium to expire robbing the residents and city of the protection and our right to ever place a moratorium on oil drilling again. (11)
- May 20, 2014 this city council presented a ban on fracking which allows the contractor to state fracking is necessary and a permit will be granted. (14)
- July 12, 2014 the Mayor co-hosted an Oxy/Jobs for Carson event supposedly for our veterans which was just another ploy to gain unknowing support for 200 oil wells. (12)
- August 5, 2014 this city council removed our city clerk from conducting our March 2015 elections. (15)
- August 21, 2014 this city council held an oil and gas code update workshop for all residents when all residents did’t receive notices. (16)
- August 30, 2014 notices of the repeat workshop have been received by some residents this notices doesn’t look like an official city notice. The city seal has been disguised with a logo that looks like it’s for a child’s birthday party. Will residents take this notice seriously? (17)
- September 2, 2014 it was discovered the Utility Users’ Tax Oversight Committee attempted to hold mandated meetings that were continuously postponed for almost a year. Could this jeopardize our UUT in the future?